Anyone Up for Some Delicious Garlic Bread?
Accredited Practising Dietitian | Accredited Nutritionist
Speaks about the benefits of Garlic.
When you think of garlic you may think a vegetable which helps keep vampires away, but what you may not know is that this little vegetable has been used since 3000BC for medicinal purposes. There is no denying that garlic tastes amazing on bread layered with butter, but it also has healthful benefits for your body which include:
- Anticancer properties which potential reduce your risk of stomach, oesophagus, colon, breast, cervix, skin, uterine and lung cancers.
- Components which help to kill the ‘bad’ bugs in your body.
- Garlic may help reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Garlic has known compounds which support your immune system function.
- Promotes healthy teeth and gums.
The main component which gives garlic all these healthy benefits is called ally methyl sulphide. Garlic also contains an antioxidant called allicin which is a powerful weapon in promoting immune function. On top of this garlic has health promoting plant chemicals which assist optimal function of your immune system like phytochemicals, polyphenols, flavonoids, and plant sterols.
Plant sterols promote cardiovascular healthy by helping to lower your total and ‘bad’ LDL cholesterol by dragging cholesterol out of your body before being able to be reabsorbed. Garlic promotes healthy teeth and gums due to allicin which helps to reduce the bacteria in your mouth which promote gum and teeth disease. The anti-fungal and antiviral components of garlic also help in optimising the balance to more good than bad bacteria in your mouth.
Now you know some of the health reasons to include garlic in your diet my top ways to include garlic are:
- Using Pantry to Plate’s Garlic Powder on steamed vegetables to add flavour without using salt. Using excess salt promotes higher blood pressure and by using Pantry to Plate’s Garlic Powder of added salt this helps your blood pressure stay at a healthy level.
- Try using garlic powder as part of a tomato sauce using fresh tomatoes, basil and tuna under some delicious quinoa or whole grain pasta and topped with some low-fat cheese.
- Sprinkle garlic powder on top of steamed fish with some fresh herbs and spices.
- If you hit the munchies at work try toasting a piece of whole grain bread, top with a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil and a light dusting of Pantry to Plate’s Garlic Powder.
If you are eager to try different taste sensations remember Pantry to Plate does not only supply quality garlic powder but a range of herbs and spices to add additional flavour and nutrition to your meals and snacks.
Take home message: Garlic has many health benefits on top of its ability to make a meal taste even more delicious. To save time and be able to use this vegetable anywhere I recommend Pantry to Plate Garlic Powder. By adding garlic, you will be adding flavour and health benefits to assist your body stay fit and well.
- Rana, S. V., Pal, R., Vaiphei, K., Sharma, S. K., & Ola, R. P. (2011). Garlic in health and disease. Nutrition Research Reviews, 24(1), 60-71. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0954422410000338