A twist on the traditional sausage roll, this savoury yet sweet pastry, containing Pantry to Plate’s Fennel Seeds is great for lunches, picnics or “just because”! Give it a try and tell us what you think!
- Preheat oven to 180 Degrees Celsius
- Heat oil in a frypan over medium heat
- Add in diced onion and stir until caramelized
- Add garlic powder and bacon and cook for 5 minutes
- Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes
- In a bowl, combine bacon and onion mixture, beef, fennel seeds, whole egg, and breadcrumbs and mix well
- Line baking tray with baking paper
- Layout puff pastry sheets and cut in half and brush one edge with whisked egg
- Shape filling into logs along the middle of the pastry, keeping meat as tightly together as possible
- Roll up the pastry sheet around the filling, and roll up and brush the edge with egg and “close” over
- Cut each log into 4 equal lengths and place seam side down onto baking paper
- Brush top of each piece with whisked egg and sprinkle with poppy seeds
- Bake in oven for 30 to 35 min, until the pastry is a nice golden brown
- Serve warm with tomato ketchup
Note: Beef can be substituted for Pork mince.