“CLOVESOME” STOVE TOP PORK ROAST
Who doesn't love a roast Pork. This traditional favourite is made even more special by its Mauritian tradition of featuring Cloves and cooking long and slow on the stove. Give it a go! It is definitely not one to miss...
3 – 3.5KG Pork Shoulder, boneless.
1 tsp of Whole Cloves
1 tsp of Whole Black Peppercorns
¼ Cup of Premium Soy Sauce
3 tbsp of Olive Oil
1 tsp of Table Salt
1 tsp of Nutmeg Ground
1 tsp of Garlic powder
1 Whole onion – sliced (1 cm slices)
1 Cup of water
Prep time: 10mins
Cook time: 3 hours (on gas stove)
Method – using cast iron pot with lid
- If pork is rolled with twine, remove twine and flatten out
- Turn pork skin side down, sprinkle on top Cloves, nutmeg, Garlic Powder and salt.
- Drizzle with 1tbsp of olive oil and massage spices into the meat.
- Add 1tbsp of olive oil to the pot, spread sliced onion over the based loosely to create a bed for the meat. Sprinkle Whole Black Peppercorn's over the onion.
- Lay the pork over the bed of onions and pepper.
- Rub remaining oil over the skin, pour the soy sauce over evenly, then pour the water into the pot around the pork.
- Place lid on the pot, place on large burner and cook on high for 30 mins.
- After 30 mins, move pot to medium burner and cook on low for 2 hours.
- After two hours, flip the pork over so it is skin side down and cook on low for a further 30 mins.
- When complete carve up and serve with your favourite gravy or go traditional Mauritian and try a garlic aioli.