20 MINUTES (plus 8 hours in the fridge)
Blow everyone away with this amazing take on a Chinese favourite! This rich and decedent duck, made with Pantry to Plate’s incredible Chinese Five Spice blend, can be served on its own or with rice, or serve with cucumbers, spring onion and hoisin sauce for the most amazing peking duck pancakes! Give it a go and let us know what you think!
- Combine Chinese 5 Spice, syrup, soy, wine and water in a pot and bring to the boil
- Cook for a further 8-10 minutes or until a thick syrup forms, then remove from heat and bring to room temperature
- Wash Duck and pat dry inside and out
- Brush the duck all over with the syrup
- Place the duck on a rack in a baking tray, and chill overnight uncovered in the fridge
- Preheat the oven to 190C
- Remove the duck from the fridge 30 minutes before cooking
- Place the duck in the oven on the lowest rung and cook for approx. 75 minutes
- Remove the duck from the oven, and baste with the remaining syrup
- Rest the duck for 20-30 minutes before carving
Note: Shaoxing Wine can be substituted with Cooking Sake or Mirin Seasoning, however please note that Mirin will give you a sweeter duck.