Ask anyone who’s been to Red Spice Road what their favorite dish is, and 9 out of 10 times they will tell you about the incredible Pork Belly with Chilli Caramel Sauce. And we agree! In our opinion, it’s the best Pork Belly dish in town! So in honor of this amazing dish, we’ve modified the recipe published in Good Food, and using Pantry to Plate’s amazing Star Anise and Chinese Five Spice blend, recreated this masterpiece. And let us tell you, in our opinion, it’s nearly as good as the original! Try it at home and let us know how you go!
- Preheat oven to 130° C
- In a large baking tray, place water, light soy sauce, sweet soy sauce and Star Anise, and give it a stir to mix.
- Add Pork Belly to the tray, and cover with baking paper, followed by aluminum foil.
- Place in the oven and cook for 6 hours. Check occasionally to ensure liquid doesn’t reduce too much, and add additional water if you think its required.
- Remove pork from tray, reserving approx. 100ml of the liquid, and refrigerate until cold (preferably overnight).
- Once cooled, cut the pork into medium sized squares, placing in a large bowl, add reserved liquid, and stir until coated.
- Combine starch, Chinese Five Spice and salt in a large bowl and mix well.
- Place pork into starch mixture and coat well. Remove pork, shaking off any excess and set aside for approx. 30 minutes to allow starch mixture to stick to the pork.
- Peheat oil for frying in a wok over medium heat.
- Cook the pork in batches for approx. 5 min (or until the outside is golden and crispy), ensuring you don’t overcrowd the wok.
- Place on a paper towel to remove excess oil
- To make Chilli Caramel Sauce, combine sugar and water in a saucepan.
- Bring mixture to the boil without stirring. Add Chilli and Star Anise and continue to boil until the syrup changes to a light tan colour
- Reduce to a simmer and add the fish sauce, cooking for a further 5 minutes.
- Strain and set aside until ready for use.
- To serve, place pork belly on plate and drizzle with Chilli Caramel Sauce.