SFOUF - TURMERIC AND SEMOLINA CAKE
Feel like cake but want something a bit different? Try our amazing Sfouf (Turmeric and Semolina Cake) recipe! Made with Pantry to Plate’s incredible 100% Turmeric Powder, this traditional middle eastern cake will leave you wanting more!
1/2 Cup of Plain Flour
1 1/2 Cups of fine Semolina
1 Tbsp of ground Turmeric
1/2 Tbsp of ground Aniseed
1 Tsp of Baking Powder
1 Cup of Milk
1 1/4 Cup of Sugar
1/2 Cup of extra virgin Olive Oil
1/2 Tsp of pure Vanilla Essence
1 Tbsp Tahini
Sesame Seeds to sprinkle on top
- Pre-heat a fan-forced oven to 160ºC
- Mix plain flour, semolina, turmeric, ground aniseed and baking powder together
- In a separate bowl, using an electric mixer, mix milk and sugar until sugar starts to dissolve. Add oil and vanilla essence.
- Still using the mixer, slowly mix in dry ingredients into wet ingredients until well combined. The dough should be runny (similar to a batter).
- Use a tablespoon of tahini to coat a 23cm square baking tray. (Can use baking paper if preferred)
- Pour the mixture and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake in oven for 30 min and use the 'skewer test' to make sure the cake is completely cooked through.
If you want a more Mediterranean flavour, substitute vanilla for half a teaspoon of rose water or blossom water