A wonderful winter warmer with an unusual twist, this Clove-studded Roasted Pineapple is a wonderful spicy balance of heat and sweet. The combination of Pineapple, Star Anise, Nutmeg and Ginger mixed with the heat and bite of Cloves, Szechuan Pepper and White Pepper enlivens the senses and keeps you coming back for more.
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C degrees
- To make the syrup, place 4 cups water into a pan and add in all the syrup ingredients.
- Slowly bring to a boil over gentle heat, stirring occasionally.
- Continue to simmer over medium heat to reduce by three-quarters until the syrup thickens. Set aside.
- Using a sharp knife, cut off the top of the pineapple, removing the leafy fronds, as well as a slice from the base of the pineapple to enable it to stand upright.
- Peel the pineapple, removing the little black “eyes” as you go.
- Lightly score the flesh and stud evenly all over with the cloves.
- In a pan large enough to fit the whole fruit, heat the oil until very hot, then add the pineapple and lightly color all over.
- Transfer the pineapple to a roasting dish, standing it upright.
- Baste the pineapple with the reduced syrup and roast in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes, depending on the ripeness of the fruit. Whilst cooking, continue baste every 5 minutes or so with the syrup, and continue to keep it upright.
- Let the roasted pineapple stand for 10 to 15 minutes before serving, basting from time to time with the syrup.