CLOVE-STUDDED ROASTED PINEAPPLE
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C degrees
- To make the syrup, place 4 cups water into a pan and add in all the syrup ingredients.
- Slowly bring to a boil over gentle heat, stirring occasionally.
- Continue to simmer over medium heat to reduce by three-quarters until the syrup thickens. Set aside.
- Using a sharp knife, cut off the top of the pineapple, removing the leafy fronds, as well as a slice from the base of the pineapple to enable it to stand upright.
- Peel the pineapple, removing the little black “eyes” as you go.
- Lightly score the flesh and stud evenly all over with the cloves.
- In a pan large enough to fit the whole fruit, heat the oil until very hot, then add the pineapple and lightly color all over.
- Transfer the pineapple to a roasting dish, standing it upright.
- Baste the pineapple with the reduced syrup and roast in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes, depending on the ripeness of the fruit. Whilst cooking, continue baste every 5 minutes or so with the syrup, and continue to keep it upright.
- Let the roasted pineapple stand for 10 to 15 minutes before serving, basting from time to time with the syrup.